Reply To: River memory experiment

VWSL Home Forums Experiment Forum River memory experiment Reply To: River memory experiment

Cristina Aguilar
Participant

Sorry that I missed some comments in my previous post. I have two suggestions on potential additional analyses. Both of them are to be considered in the future as they are time-consuming and thus would delay Any’s paper.

1. Regarding the season identification, I think that we might overcome some of the limitations of the method of Lee et al. (2015) if we combine it with the seasonality space representation of the directional statistics. For example, we could generate and analyze the temporal distribution of peaks within the HFS in order to quantify the consequences of the assumption of symmetrical timing for the high flow season. Similarly, the uniform selection of length (3-months) can be related to the standard deviation. In this way, the method of Lee et al. would remain as the core method to assess the season identification, but we could also take advantage of some of the indicators of the directional statistics at least in those rivers where the assumptions of Lee’s method might be problematic.

2.Regarding this statement in the protocol: “It is interesting to highlight that the state of a catchment, and in particular its storage, is affected by previous precipitation… Therefore, we utilize here previous flows as a proxy for catchment storage instead of rainfall. While the above assumption may be reasonable, one should consider that it may not hold when the river flows are impacted by massive regulation”.
We have daily flow series in two rivers in Andalucía (Spain): The Guadalquivir river (1932-2013, 47000 km2) and a smaller one, the Guadalete river (1960-2013, 3677km2), where we also have the daily precipitation at the catchment generated by a model that considers elevation gradients. Both catchments are quite regulated but at least for one of them we have the restituted series (let’s say the natural flows). So I could apply the methodology considering both, flow and precipitation daily series to see the effect of regulation and also to analyze the “improvement” if we use precipitation as the proxy for catchment storage instead of flow. I need first to do some data standardization and preparation previous to any analysis but my guess is that if I spend some time with these rivers that we have already studied in different projects, where we have a lot of geophysical and meteorological data and know really well, we can use them as a kind of “laboratory” to test some of the assumptions that we make at the different steps of the methodology.

We keep in touch. Cheers!

Cristina